Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's Official. I'm Getting Published!

I'm so excited! I have been working on my sewing creations for my Etsy store for some time now. My goal still is 100 items.
I'm working on it pretty steadily.
I'm having a blast creating. I get side tracked so easily. But it always comes out well.

This is one of my favorites. It fits me of course. But I won't make any money putting stuff in my closet.

So back to the getting noticed thing.
I got my courage up and submitted an upcycled red jacket and skirt outfit to Altered Couture Magazine.  Lo and behold within a day after I sent it off, I got an email from the assistant managing editor asking about another dress on my Etsy store.
They hadn't even gotten my package yet!

I guess it was meant to be. I got the "official" email letting me know two of my creations were chosen for a future issue. I'm thinking February. Plus, they still have the red outfit and I sent them another hoping for another submission the future. We will see. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and I get to write two 600 to 700 word articles for the submissions... yea!! (said in a weak voice). I didn't know there would be homework!

I feel like I have finally found my "thing".

Something I love to do everyday. I dream about sewing these outfits. Crazy huh?
I'm working on getting noticed by potential customers.

 Etsy has many areas to get great help. Forums for questions and groups to join for support and education.

I have been reading a bit of unhappiness with the new seller rules. Etsy now allows sellers to have other people make their products. I don't think it will take long for sellers who are actually manufacturers to show up. I have seen them already. It isn't too hard to find them.

However, I see Etsy as a simple avenue for selling to my customers and giving them a place to find me.

I realize I need to be proactive in attracting customers.
Opening a store, adding products and waiting for the sales to roll in just isn't going to happen.
 It takes work!
Sending submissions to magazines is pretty scary. But it is necessary to market myself. No one else is going to do it for me.

I learn new things everyday in both my sewing and marketing. But for now, I'm enjoying the process.

Until next time....




5 comments:

  1. WOW. Congrats to you. AND thank you for the inspiration. I just started selling on Etsy; happy with the tool and how easy it is to put things up. BUT you are right it still takes work, work, work. People are not just going to start buying all your stuff, you need to market. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome what you are doing. I only really do it for me could not imagine on a larger scale. All the best you are an inspiration!

    From RUDE Girl at http://ruderecord.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kazza,
      It is a bit scary. But on the other hand, you don't have to do large scale to be published. Just think of it as inspiring others. The magazine articles don't increase my sales much. But I hope it makes someone think of cool ways to be creative without spending a ton of money.

      Delete
  3. Bunny, I have four editions of Altered Couture. Which editions are you in please? Also if i wanted to submit something can i just send a few photos with instructions to an email? I am not keen to post to the US as p+h is so expensive.

    I have just checked in with your Etsy store for the first time and love it. I have made it a favourite.

    I am not sure I told you but [RUDE} that my husband and me have a FB page as well as our blog at
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rude-Record-Personal-Blog/787373754616693?fref=ts

    or just search Rude Record personal Blog on FB

    I would love to do a feature on you for my blog. Are you able to write up 400 words and provide some pics. Maybe about where you find your clothes, how you clean them, sort them, store them and your basement studio. Of course I would promote your blog and Etsy store and fame in Altered Couture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kazza,

      Thank you for your kind words and invitation! Of course I would love to do a write up.
      As for the Altered Couture magazine issues. I am in the Spring 2014, Autumn 2014, Winter 2014 and an upcoming issue. I'm not sure which one at this point but I think it will be the Summer one.
      Where should I send the write up and pictures? My email is: curiousorangecat@gmail.com if you want to email me there and then I'll have yours and can send everything that way.

      I will check out your FB page too!

      Again,
      Thank you for noticing me!

      Delete