Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mad Scientist in the Sewing Room or Laura Wasilowski Day



Boy did I have fun today. One of my favorite quilt artists is Laura Wasilowski. I was fortunate enough to meet her and see her quilts in person when I was hosting the TQS Treasure Chest on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. I have one of her books and decided it was time to give it a go.
First I pulled out all my batiks and hand dyed fabrics. This is the mad scientist coming out. I got carried away. I of course also used my Accuquilt studio cutter for the oak leaves, flowers and little bugs. You'll see.

I started out with little strips of fabric with fusible web on the back.
Then I began to weave them into a long strip.
When I was done, this is what I had.
OK, so this was fun, what do I do with it? .... I got an idea.
For the few of you that read my blog www.bunnyrose.com you know I'm in love with my Accuquilt studio cutter. So I went to my dies and found this.
You have to go to the Accucut site instead of the Accuquilt site to find this one. It's not cheap but I have used it in soooo many things.
Anyway, this is what my weaving looked like after I cut it out.
Kinda cool huh...

Then I started fooling around with some birdie wings and ......
Made a bug.

Here is my almost finished project.
I fused it to some batting and now time for some hand stitching.

Here are two other projects I am working on.
This one I already started stitching on it.
If you love this as much as I do.... here are the books and link to her site.
Here is her new book..

No comments:

Post a Comment